World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Saimaa Canal

The Saimaa Canal.

The Saimaa Canal (Old Style: 26 August 1856). It was overhauled and widened in 1963–1968.

A system of inland waterways and canals in the 120 interconnected lakes of the south-central and south-east part of Finland (Finnish Lakeland) are reached through the canal. The network of deep channels in Lake Saimaa with at least a draught of 4.2 metres (14 ft) covers 814 kilometres (506 mi). The deep channels extend all the way to Kuopio in Central Finland.

Contents

  • Layout 1
    • Dimensions 1.1
    • Locks 1.2
    • Bridges 1.3
  • History 2
  • External links 3

Layout

The canal begins near Lauritsala, Lake Nuijamaa, on the Finnish–Russian border (), and three smaller lakes in Russia.

Dimensions

  • Length: 42.9 km (26.7 mi)
    • Finnish part: 23.3 km (14.5 mi)
    • Russian part: 19.6 km (12.2 mi)
  • Width: from 34 to 55 m (112 to 180 ft)
  • Total lift from the Gulf of Finland to Lake Saimaa: 75.7 m (248 ft)
  • The maximum dimensions allowed for a ship transiting the canal are:
    • Length: 82.0 m (269.0 ft)
    • Beam (width): 12.2 m (40 ft)
    • Draft: 4.35 m (14.3 ft)
    • Height of mast: 24.5 m (80 ft)
  • 217 boundary pillars between Canal Rented Zone and main territory of Russia.

Locks

There are three locks in the Finnish part of the canal

  • Mälkiä ()
  • Mustola ()
  • Soskua ()

Other five locks situated on the Russian side of the border:

  • Pälli ()
  • Ilyistoye (former Lietjärvi) ()
  • Tsvetochnoye (former Rättijärvi) )
  • Iskrovka (former Särkijärvi) ()
  • Brusnichnoye (former Juustila) ()

Mälkiä Lock has highest lift (12.4 m (41 ft)), Tsvetochnoye Lock has the lowest (5.5 m (18 ft)).

Bridges

The canal crosses

  • 12 motor vehicles bridges:
    • 6 of them in Finland – 3 movable and 3 immovable
    • the other 6 in Russia – 4 movable and 2 immovable
  • 2 railroad bridges (one on the each side of the border), both of them are immovable.

History

Saimaa Canal in 1903, photo by Prokudin-Gorskii.

The canal, inaugurated in 1856, was built between the cities of Grand Duchy of Finland in the Russian Empire.

In the Soviet Union, thus effectively splitting the canal in half and ending all traffic.

Following a treaty agreement in 1963, the USSR leased the Soviet section of the canal area and the Maly Vysotsky Island (Ravansaari) to Finland for fifty years. A new deeper canal was constructed by the Finns, which opened to traffic in 1968. The length of the canal itself is 42.9 kilometres (26.7 mi). Under the new Saimaa Canal lease treaty signed by the Finnish and Russian governments in 2010, Maly Vysotsky Island was again to be managed by Russian authorities. The treaty went into effect on 17 February 2012.

The area is not part of Finland; it is a special part of Russia. Russian law is in force, with a few exceptions concerning maritime rules and the employment of canal staff, which fall under Finnish jurisdiction. There are also special rules concerning vessels traveling to Finland via the canal. Russian visas are not required for just passing through the canal, but a passport is needed and it is checked at the border.

Negotiations in 2008 agreed upon an extension of 50 years beginning in 2013, with an increase of the yearly rent of 290,000 euros to 1.22 million euros. The rent will thereafter be adjusted every 10 years. (The original rent was increased only once between 1963 and 2013.)

External links

Media related to at Wikimedia Commons

  • Finnish Transport Agency: Saimaa Canal
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.