World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Peine (district)

Article Id: WHEBN0000153222
Reproduction Date:

Title: Peine (district)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Hildesheim (district), Wolfenbüttel (district), Gifhorn (district), Lower Saxony, Brunswick Land
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Peine (district)

Peine is a district in Lower Saxony, Germany. It is bounded by (from the south and clockwise) the districts of Hildesheim, Hanover and Gifhorn, and the cities of Brunswick and Salzgitter.

History

Until the early 19th century, the territory of the district belonged to Brunswick-Celle, Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel, and the Bishopric of Hildesheim. After 1815, both Brunswick-Celle and Hildesheim belonged to the Kingdom of Hanover. In 1866, Hanover fell to Prussia. The Prussian administration established districts (Kreise) in 1885, among them Peine.

The region has a smelting tradition, the associated mining tradition lasted until 1976 when the last existing mine was closed. One of the best known events in local history was the mining disaster of Lengede in 1963, when 29 miners died and 11 miners were rescued two weeks after the incident.

Geography

The district comprises the space between the cities of Hanover and Braunschweig. The Fuhse river enters the district in the south, runs through the town of Peine and leaves northwards to Celle.

Coat of arms

The coat of arms is derived from the arms of the County of Wolfenbüttel-Assenburg. This county existed only until 1260, but its rulers were responsible for the foundation of Peine.

Cities and municipalities

Cities Municipalities
  1. Peine
  1. Edemissen
  2. Hohenhameln
  3. Ilsede
  4. Lengede
  5. Vechelde
  6. Wendeburg

Notable people from Peine

See also

References

External links

Media related to Landkreis Peine at Wikimedia Commons

  • Official website (German)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.