World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design

Article Id: WHEBN0004036763
Reproduction Date:

Title: Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design, Dóra Keresztes, István Orosz, Rubik's Cube, European Cross Media Academy
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design

Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design
Established 1870
Students 125
Location Budapest, Hungary
Website www.mome.hu

The Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design (in Hungarian: Moholy-Nagy Művészeti Egyetem), former Hungarian University of Arts and Design, is located in Budapest, Hungary. The university is committed to training traditional artist-craftsmen, as well as architects, designers and visual communication designers. This University is named after László Moholy-Nagy.

History

The predecessor of the Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design, the Hungarian Royal National School of Arts and Crafts, was founded in 1880 and operated under this name until 1944. Like other European Art Colleges, it evolved from a handicraft industry school, the Model Drawing School. Its founder and first director, Gusztáv Kelety declared the ‘educational support of a more artistic wood and furniture industry’ the aim of the new institution. The spirit of the school was fundamentally influenced by the Arts and Crafts Movement of Britain, as well as by Hungarian folklore. In the beginning there was only one department, in which architectural drawing and design were taught. Goldsmithery and xylography classes started in 1883, while decorative painting and copperplate engraving classes began in 1884. The decorative sculpture class, uniting small sculpture and wood-carving, was established in 1885. In 1896, the school, which had been scattered in different parts of Budapest, moved to the new Museum of Applied Arts, and came under the directorship of Kamill Flitter. The number of registered students at that time was 120.

The idea of converting the school into a college arose in the early 1940s, but the rigours of the war years prevented any steps from being taken. Following the repair of damage suffered in the Second World War, teaching resumed in March 1945, and preparations to reorganise the school continued. In 1946 the ministry decided to elevate the school’s rank; thus the College of Arts and Crafts was established.

In 1950 there were already six degree courses, and the number of students in 1952 rose to 280. In 1954 parts of the College moved to the present location in theatre stage design course, four degree courses remained: interior decoration, decorative painting, decorative sculpture and textile design. The industrial design degree course was initiated in 1959.

The appointment of Frigyes Pogány to the head of the College in 1964 ushered in a new era of reforms, coinciding with the growing appreciation of the social role of applied arts. In 1971 the College was granted university rank, but remained a college in name. In 1982, under István Gergely, a new series of reforms were introduced: the departments were changed into institutes, allowing students to earn college and university degrees in the incremental educational system. In the mid-1980s, the range of courses was extended with the establishment of photography, video and art management courses. The official gallery of the College, Tölgyfa Galéra, opened its doors to the public in Henger Street in 1987. With the appointment of the renowned ceramic artist Imre Schrammel to the head of the College, uniform university training was introduced, and the departments were re-established. In 1997, because of economic restrictions, the structure of the institution was modified again.

The University was accredited in 1998.

Since 1999, textile designer Judit Droppa has served as president of the University. In 2002 a far-reaching development plan was devised, the first phase calling for the removal of the Tölgyfa Gallery from Henger Street and the renovation of the main building of the University in the same year. The current president of the University is Gábor Kopek.

In March 2006 the Hungarian University of Arts and Design announced its new name as Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design.

Departments

Others:

  • Teacher Training
  • Manager Training
  • Doctoral Studies

Famous professors and students

Source: www.mie.hu

See also

External links

  • Official website (Hungarian and English)
  • Cumulus page (English)
  • Aerial photography of the building

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.