World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres

Article Id: WHEBN0000734041
Reproduction Date:

Title: Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: JUGENE, Institute for Micro Process Engineering, Hermann von Helmholtz, Germany, Helmholtz Zentrum München
Collection: Scientific Organisations Based in Germany
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres

Helmholtz-Association
Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft Deutscher Forschungszentren e.V.
Agency overview
Formed 2001
Preceding agency
  • Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Großforschungseinrichtungen (AGF)
Headquarters Bonn and Berlin
Employees 37148 [1]
Annual budget 3.95 billion Euro (2.69 core and 1.26 third-party funding) [1]
Agency executive
Website www.helmholtz.de

The Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres (Germany. It is a union of 18 scientific-technical and biological-medical research centers. The official mission of the Association is "solving the grand challenges of science, society and industry". Scientists at Helmholtz therefore focus research on complex systems which affect human life and the environment. The namesake of the association is the German physiologist and physicist Hermann von Helmholtz.[2]

The annual budget of the Helmholtz Association amounts to more than 3.4 billion euros, of which about 70% is raised from public funds. The remaining 30% of the budget is acquired by the 18 individual Helmholtz Centres in the form of contract funding. The public funds are provided by the federal government (90%) and the rest by the States of Germany (10%).[2]

Contents

  • Members 1
  • Programme structure 2
  • The Helmholtz Climate Initiative 3
  • References 4
  • External links 5

Members

Map of the Helmholtz Centres in Germany

Members of the Helmholtz Association are:

Programme structure

The works of the centres are categorised into programmes, which are divided into six research groups.[4] The Helmholtz centres are grouped according to which research group they belong to:

  • Key Technologies are studied at FZJ, KIT, HZG. In a single topic there is cooperations of the HZB.
  • Aeronautics, Space and Transport is studied at DLR. Major research topics are mobility, information systems and communication.

The Helmholtz Climate Initiative

Logo of the Regional Climate Change initiative

Eight of the above mentioned Helmholtz centers are part of the Helmholtz Climate Initiative Regional Climate (in German: Regionale Klimainitiative) REKLIM in order to tackle the interactions between atmosphere, sea ice, ocean and land surfaces. These interactions determine the climate of the Earth. Detailed observations and process studies are combined within the initiative. For the funding period 2009-2013 the REKLIM-initiative has a budget of 32.2 million Euro.[5] In this funding period, the program is divided into seven topics, each of the topics is organized in various work-packages.

  1. Coupled modelling of regional earth systems. Model regions are the Arctic and Europe. Highly resolved regional model are used to simulate atmosphere, ocean, sea ice, ice sheets, land surface, soil, vegetation, aerosol chemistry and other components on a regional scale.
  2. Sea-level changes and coastal protection. The effects of glacier and ice-stream dynamics, the response of the ocean on heating and melt water run-off are studied in particularly for Greenland.
  3. Regional climate changes in the Arctic Forcing and long-term effects at the land-ocean interface
  4. The land surface in the climate system
  5. Chemistry-climate interactions on global to regional scales
  6. Extreme weather events Storms, heavy precipitation, floods and droughts
  7. Socio-economics and management Climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies

In the second funding period (2011-2015), three additional topics have been added.

References

Note: Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe is often abbreviated as FZK, although this violates the rights of Feuerverzinkerei FZK Karlsruhe.

  1. ^ a b Helmholtz Annual Report 2014
  2. ^ a b Helmholtz Association - About Us retrieved 24-May-2012.
  3. ^ "Pressemitteilung vom 22. Juni 2009: Per Unterschrift besiegelt – das FZD wechselt zur Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft Deutscher Forschungszentren (german)". FZD. 2009-05-22. Retrieved 2009-05-22. 
  4. ^ Helmholtz Association - Research retrieved 29-Sept-2015
  5. ^ "Helmholtz-Verbund Regionale Klimaänderungen (REKLIM)". Süddeutsches Klimabüro. Retrieved 2013-11-04. 

External links

  • Helmholtz association webpage
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.