Orthodoxy in Bosnia and Herzegovina

The independent history of the Orthodox Church in Bosnia and Herzegovina begins in 1219, when the Eparchy of Zahumlje and Herzegovina was founded as part of the Serbian Orthodox Church by Saint Sava, although Orthodox Christians were present from before that time. The majority of Orthodox in the country are Serbs. From the late 1760s until 1880, the Orthodox in Bosnia and Herzegovina were directly under the Patriarchate of Constantinople, following the fall of the Patriarchate of Peć. As such it was led by Phanariotes, Greeks from Istanbul. In 1920, following the First World War and the creation of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, the area again came under the religious authority of the newly reunited Serbian Orthodox Church, under Patriarch Dimitrije.

According to the CIA Factbook, Orthodox Christians make up 31% of the country's population, although this is at best a rough estimate, as the last census was conducted in 1991, before the Bosnian War.[1] They are estimated to number 36% of the population in 2008.

Orthodox Christian sites of interest

References


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.